Launching a five-day poll campaign in poll-bound Karnataka, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has begun addressing the first rally in Mysuru on Tuesday. The party hopes to overthrow the incumbent Siddaramiah-led Congress government, adding the 21st state to it's cap.
PM Modi, BJP's star-of-star campaigners, is expected to address a dozen rallies across five days in a campaign blitz. His first rally scheduled at 11:30 am at Santhemaranahalli. He'll then head to the coastal town of Udipi, where he will seek the blessings of the head of the Pejawar Matha, Vishvesha Tirtha. After, he is set to address a rally around 3 pm at the AGM College Ground in the temple town. His final stop of the day will be Chikkodi in northern Karnataka's Belagavi district, where he's addressing another rally.
Karnataka is all set to go to polls in a single phase on May 12, with the counting of votes set for May 15.
The BJP, with its Chief Ministerial candidate BS Yeddyurappa, is attempting to form the government for the second time in Karnataka. The Congress is looking to retain power under incumbent CM Siddaramaiah. The other major force in Karnataka politics - Deve Gowda's JD(S) - is also playing the game hard, perhaps with the hope of playing kingmaker.
Highlights of his speech during the rally:
· Congress President has challenged me, if he speaks for 15 minutes in Parliament Modi will not be able to sit. He is correct, there is no way ordinary people like me, who do not even dress well, can sit with such high and mighty people like the Congress President: PM Modi
· I have something to say to Rahul. Speak 15 minutes without reading from a piece of paper. Language doesn't matter-- speak in Hindi or Kannada or your mother's language. And during those 15 minutes, try pronouncing Vishveshwarya five times: PM Modi
· Those who keep abusing us day and night do not tell why there are still 4 crore households without electricity. We have vowed to electrify these 4 crore households through ‘Saubhagya Yojana’: PM Modi
· The Congress President is 'Namdaar' so how does he know about the efforts of 'Kaamdaars': PM Modi
· In 2005, during the time of Sonia Gandhi and Manmohan Singh's government said they will provide electricity to every village by 2009. What happened to that? In any case, we saw how the Congress treated Manmohan Singh. They tore off ordinances and disrespected him: PM
· Congress today is led by people who have knowledge about the country's history, or know the national song Vande Mataram or have any clue about what their party members say: PM Modi
· News of Karnataka elections keeps coming in Delhi. But let me tell you, there's no BJP wave in Karnataka, there's a BJP storm in the state: PM MODI
· 18000 villages have electricity today because of the efforts of hard workers. I salute these people: PM Modi on Labour Day.
If a caste analysis of 2014 Lok Sabha elections is taken into account, the Bharatiya Ja...
Congress has justified Gandhi’s decision to contest from Kerala as the result of his de...