In an action replay, reminding the people of the hay days of Jayalalithaa, Tamil Nadu government has warned those `defaming’ govt of the chief minister with legal action.
Hours after a journalist at a press conference in New Delhi sought to link Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami with the sensational murder of a security guard and break-in at late Chief Minister Jayalalithaa’s Kodanad Estate bungalow in 2017, Fisheries Minister D. Jayakumar warned of legal action against those “conspiring” to “tarnish” the government’s image.
Speaking as the spokesperson of the government, Jayakumar on Friday night also threatened action against TV channels for telecasting the press conference. The media outlets had brought “disrepute” to the Chief Minister and the State government by broadcasting unsubstantiated claims, he charged.
In the afternoon, former Tehelka editor Samuel Mathew, accompanied by Sayan and V. Manoj, two of the accused in the break-in, claimed that another accused Kanakaraj (since dead) had liaised with Palaniswami. A video purportedly containing conversations with some of the accused, in which they made various allegations, was also played at the press conference.
Dismissing the charges, Jayakumar told mediapersons, “This has been orchestrated to bring disrepute to Amma’s (Jayalalithaa) government and to the Chief Minister with a mala fide intent. This is a conspiracy and a fabricated story.”
“Whoever is behind this and responsible for broadcasting the video...we will take strict action. Action will also be taken against media that broadcast the video,” he said, adding that the Nilgiris police had arrested 10 accused in the case and a chargesheet had been filed.
The farmers also threatened to boycott the polls if their demand is not met
At around 2 a.m., Dhirender, alias Dhire, and Amit were arrested. They were part of 35 ...